Let’s talk about protein — you sure can’t talk about health and fitness without it!
Protein provides the body with amino acids that have a multitude of roles within the body, including:
- Growing and maintaining muscle
- Repairing all body tissues (including skin and organs)
- Producing hormones and enzymes
- Keeping our immune system healthy
- Some amino acids also act as neurotransmitters, affecting mood and brain health
Protein can also function as a source of energy if our fat and carbohydrate intake is low. Protein provides 4 calories of energy per gram.
DNAFit Tip – Protein can be really useful for increasing the muscle mass. If this is your goal, aim to consume between 1.5-2 grams of protein for every kilogram of bodyweight. For example, a 70kg man looking to gain muscle would consume between 105-140 grams of protein per day.
A fun fact about proteins in that they are made up of amino acids. The science around your genetics and “protein response” depends heavily on your activity levels.
Courtesy: DNA FIT